Tuesday, March 2, 2010

Taco Salad For Dinner

Since my wife continues her sojourn in Panama, I'm in charge of all domestic tasks at our house in Grosse Pointe Farms, including making dinner. My 13-year-old son likes three squares a day. And, while not particularly picky, his palate prefers teen foods (e.g. pasta, pizza) to healthy selections (e.g. grilled chicken breasts). Fortunately, he's normally pretty accepting of my cooking as long as the food is hot, attractive to the eye, and on the table by 6:00 p.m.

Achieved all today--and got a gold star from the boy.

When I announced I was making taco salad tonight, he was initially dubious. I think he imagined something more like a salad and less like a taco. When I explained the concept--taco incredients on top of corn chips, he became more enthusiastic.

My execution was flawless--used ground sirloin (less fat), a good seasoning mix (Old El Paso), fantastic cheese (shredded white Vermont cheddar), and lots of chopped veggies. Started cooking at 4:45; dinner on the table at 5:15; dishes cleaned up by 5:35; on the road to play practice by 5:50. He was happy--not stressed, full of conversation, and helpful.

All in all this was an ideal meal: spent more time eating and cleaning together than me cooking alone.

These days are precious to me. Isaac is my last connection to young adulthood. I want these days to go on forever. I've seen the future with my mother and my grandfather and I like where I am now.

God help me accept my advancing age, because I cannot stop my son from maturing. I cannot make another baby. And the calendar marches relentlessly forward.

While I can imagine a future where grandchildren sit and wait for grandpa to finish dinner--maybe spaghetti and meatballs, maybe pizza, or maybe, just maybe, taco salad--my present time with my youngest son is fleeting. I treasure this time.

May I enjoy every moment with Isaac these next years as much as I enjoyed this evening.

1 comment:

  1. Mmmm. Taco salad. Yum. You should add that to the menu a little more often...

    ReplyDelete