Friday, March 5, 2010

So What About Lent

I get this question all the time, especially from teens: What did you give up for Lent?

Actually, I'm not a big fan of giving up anything for Lent. In the past I have given up many things--smoking, drinking alcohol, sweets, you know the usual deprivations. However, lately my wife and I have agreed that Lent should be about more than temporary lifestyle changes.

If the purpose of Lent is to deepen our relationship with God, then ask yourself, how does avoiding chocolate make me closer to God? Others may say, "Well, Jesus gave his life for us, can't we give up a little something for him?" I suppose, but can you really compare quitting smoking, which is really for our own good anyway, to the sacrifce Jesus made for us?

Typically I find people's Lenten vows either trivial or self-serving. So, we've encouraged our circle this year to "dig deeper" with their Lenten promises. Rather than give something up, add something meaningful to your life: read Scripture daily, write a poem, talk to distant family members. These kinds of activities, meant to bring us closer to God, to create beauty, or to strengthen families, seem more in line with what I believe the season of Lent is all about.

So, what about me? What am I doing differently this Lenten season? Well I decided to add something and give something up. What did I add? Daily prayer by name in support of specific family members. We all need more prayer support, and let me be a prayer warrior for my own circle.

And what did I give up? This came as a bit of a shocker to my Sunday School class at St. Ambrose. I'm giving up gossiping. Not that I'm a big gossiper, but I'm particularly sensitive these days about people talking my business, especially those who know my business from sources other than me! I should not be sensitive, however, if I engage in the same behavior. So, until Easter, I talk no one's business other than my own. Not as easy as you might think.

Happy Lenten Season to all of you. Let me know what's up with you--and whether you've made a promise to God or to anyone else this season that you are willing to share.

Peace.

No comments:

Post a Comment