Monday, February 15, 2010

Happy Valentines

Did you know Sylvester the Cat speaks Spanish?

I should not have been surprised. After all those years tracking Tweety Bird, maybe another language would help.

Sylvester was the cover boy on my Valentine's Day card from my wife. The message was sweet and funny--and given to me in person here in Panama. Yes, I'm still here--and enjoying every minute.

This time I've got my son Isaac and his friend Bennett at my side. It's good for me to have the boys, because they add a perspective that I've lost about Panama. Now, I see Sylvester the Cat, LaCoste ads and baseball. Bennett, who's visiting a foreign country for the first time, sees houses with tin roofs, smells unusual odors, and hears Spanish everywhere. For me this place is familiar. For Bennett it's a whole new world.

I'm constantly amazed at how the Panamanians embrace American culture. Their stores are stocked with American goods--that people buy at ridiculously inflated prices. Even US holidays are celebrated here, including Thanksgiving! If anything, they should LOATH Thanksgiving because it marks the rise of England in the New World. The original Panama City was burned to the ground by English pirates, yet Panamanians celebrate Thanksgiving! And Santa Claus rides in a sleigh. And Sylvester the Cat delivers Valentines greetings.

At the same time thank God for the differences. This week is Carnival in Panama--that uniquely Latin celebration before Lent. In the U.S., other than in New Orleans, we've largely lost this celebration. It's too bad, because a little fun is what we badly need in northern climates in mid-February. I'm happy to be here for Carnival.

And fresh fruit--wow, how much I enjoy that. Pineapple so sweet it tastes like someone added sugar. Mangos, watermelon and grapes, too. I can't stop eating when I'm here.

Of course the beach--crashing waves and warm water, really takes the chill out of my bones.

Can an American get tired of Panama? I don't think it's possible in February.

Adios Amigos!

No comments:

Post a Comment