Friday, January 22, 2010

Your Elevator Speech

Lots of interesting advice is coming to me now that I'm beginning my job search. While perusing a magazine article about job searches in the current economy, a writer said that I should always have my "elevator speech" ready. What's an elevator speech? Well, an elevator speech is a stripped down version of your resume that you prepared and can share with a potential employer who has very little time to listen. Since so many people currently are looking for work, the smart job seeker should prepare a succinct "pitch" that when delivered will captivate the hearer. However, unlike other face-to-face interactions, the elevator speech must be delivered in one minute or less. You know, the time of a typical trip in an elevator.

Yes--one minute or less. Not an interview. Not even chat over coffee. This speech is meant to pique a person's interest--get them excited about scheduling a real interview. The elevator speech better be interesting.

But, seriously, can a person really boil down their best features into such a tiny package? Can a one-dimensional caricature of oneself persuade anybody of a person's worth or character? I don't know, but I'm willing to toss out an elevator speech . . . as soon as I write one!

What should I include? I'm hoping some of my readers could offer suggestions. The description of me contained on this blog's homepage isn't very good. Look at it. Would anybody want to hire me because of my status with the Presbyterian Church? I have stepped in a Presbyterian church two times in the last five years! It's been 12 years since that church has had much impact in my life!

My wife, my son and my dog ARE close to my heart--but, fodder for my elevator speech? I don't think so. Having a wife, son and dog are noteworthy, but hardly lift me above the throngs of job seekers.

Rather than reciting simple facts from my resume, I think my elevator speech could mention one or two personal superlatives and then provide examples to support the statements. One superlative might be personal, the other professional. Here's what I'm thinking about today: "I make excellent chilli. In fact I once won a chilli cookoff and the contestants included a Detroit fireman. That was a tough contest." Second superlative: "My values make a difference in the workplace. During my time at American Laser Centers, I recruited, hired and trained more than four thousand persons, ninety-five percent of them were women. I personally wrote the employee handbook at the company and oversaw the implementation of all personnel policies. During my seven years of leadership, the company never faced any accusations of sexual misconduct or harassment. I'm very proud of that achievement."

Both those statements are true--and they seem far more interesting than the typical contents of "hire me" speeches. Seriously, I believe every hiring manager must be sick of encountering hardworking, loyal, good communicators? Wouldn't you rather work with a guy who can make a mean pot of chilli? I know I would.

I'd love some feedback here. Next week I'm going to be in Panama with my wife. We'll be busy and I won't have much time to write. However, in early February I'm scheduling my first work opportunity appointments. It's been a while since I've had to "sell" myself, and any tips and suggestions from you are most appreciated.

In the meantime, I'm glad to help you with your elevator speech, too. Let me know.

With affection.

No comments:

Post a Comment