Tuesday, January 19, 2010

The Power of Prayer

Good Morning Friends,

I'm back at my kitchen table after a whirlwind four days that saw me sleeping in three beds in three cities (Friday in Florida, Saturday in Detroit, Sunday in Des Moines and last night back in my own bed again). Glad to be home.

In Florida I attended the funeral of my 99-year-old grandfather. There I renewed relationships with relatives not seen in years and had some serious "face time" with my mother and two sisters. Emails and telephone calls are fine, but nothing really nurtures a relationship better than face-to-face interaction. I'm glad I showed up. The experience of intense family togetherness was more fulfilling than I had expected, but it was exhausting--and I was ready to leave the gathering early.

So, Saturday evening, I headed for home (the funeral was early Saturday afternoon). I explained to family that my class of seventh grade Sunday school students awaited me in Detroit AND that my daughter, who is a freshman in college, needed a ride back to school. So, I landed in Detroit around midnight Saturday night, got home, went to bed, got up, taught my class, and, by noon was packed up and on the road driving toward Des Moines with my wife and daughter in tow.

After all that activity, I'm ready for some reflection. But, first, I must get over my panic.

One theme repeated at my grandfather's funeral was his faithfulness, particularly his devotion to prayer. My grandfather shared with family members in his last days that he prayed, by name, for each of his four living children, his thirteen living grandchildren, and his 29 living great grandchildren EVERY DAY. Talk about praying without ceasing! For nearly half a century, this man never stopped asking God to care for me. And now that prayer support is gone. I miss it. I sense it's absence. How am I going to survive and thrive without those prayers behind me? I'm ashamed to admit that I am not nearly as faithful to prayer as my grandfather. It's not a consistent, daily habit for me to beg our creator to care for my loved ones. God forgive me. I had a better example than that.

While disasters, disappointments and tragedies have befallen my extended family, just like every other family, I believe that my grandfather's constant prayers provided us a spiritual shield of protection. Certain evils have passed us by unscathed because of these prayers. And that protection is gone unless we remaining family members humble ourselves before the Lord and admit we (and our loved ones) need help.

Christian faith demands action. And one action our holy Scripture, our churches and every devout believer agree is most important is committing ourselves to daily prayer. So, in honor of my grandfather, Lawrence Raass, covenant with me to pray by name for your loved ones every day this week--at least through Sunday morning. Your prayer could be as simple as "God watch over my daughter [Name] today. Protect her from harm and help her to choose what is right." That will take you all of what, 10 seconds? And, who knows, that simple act may provide your loved one some bit of protection or inspiration that he or she needs. So, while I've lost an essential bit of my own personal prayer support, it's time that I shore up being that essential support for others.

Theme change.

Yesterday in Des Moines I had the best lunch I've eaten in months. Besides prayer, I can think of no better sustenance than a warm bowl of soup and a hearty pork sandwich. On a whim, before beginning the journey back to Michigan, we stopped for lunch at Proof restaurant in the old Masonic Temple on 10th St. in downtown Des Moines. It's possible we came to eat the right day because the proprietor was entertaining a group of 20 French chefs who were on a "food tour" of middle America. Regardless of the guests, I believe she prepares food that well every day--and I will be back. Visit Proof next time you're in Des Moines. The lentil/squash soup (which she made with lots of cilantro, cumin and curry) was outstanding, and her Pork Reuben avoided the greasy gooey ingredients I'm used to and instead was made on flat bread with succulent chunks of roasted pork. Yum. That lunch and a good cup of coffee was enough fuel to get me home.

Got to go. Tune in tomorrow.

No comments:

Post a Comment