Thursday, January 14, 2010

Models of Maturity

The movie script theme a little too heavy? Didn't hear from anyone about the posting. Let's hope today strikes a chord.

Today I'm thinking about my dearly departed grandfather, Lawrence Raass, who passed away last Friday at the ripe old age of 99. His passing was a terrible disappointment for many of us who looked forward to a 100-year-old birthday celebration planned for this April.

I expect that there will be elements of celebration this Saturday at his funeral--after all, living 99 years is a remarkable achievement. Especially since through most of those years Grandpa remained hale in body with a clear, unforgetting mind, we have a lot to thankful for. I've often said that if I could be healthy mentally and physically, I look forward to my own golden years. Statistically I have a good shot at getting there--pretty old already, no chronic medical conditions, and excellent family health histories.

Actually, as I consider my own models of maturity, there are persons I hope my life more closely resembles than others. Because, although Grandpa lived long, by all reports he was a pretty crochety old man, who was not that pleasant to be around in his later years. In contrast, I continue to be amazed by two other very old men--Ernie Harwell and Daniel Schorr. While I don't know them personally, I do know that being over 90 for them has not meant shuffling to the margins, but for them they continue to lead active, vital lives.

If you who don't know those names, Ernie Harwell is the extraordinary former announcer for Detroit Tigers. Many of us grew up hearing his voice--and we are continually amazed that while he is stricken with cancer, he continues to share his charm, wit and wisdom with appreciative fans. Similarly Dan Schorr remains a keen political observer who, as a 92-year-old commentator with National Public Radio, continues to share his insights with millions of listeners.

It's not the undimmed celebrity of Ernie Harwell and Dan Schorr that impress me, it's their ability to remain relevant, involved and interesting at an impossibly advanced age. I want to be 90 like those guys. What's their secret?

First continued good health requires lifelong good habits. Neither Harwell, Schorr or Grandpa used tobacco, abused alcohol, or led sedentary lives. Take care of the temple and it will take care of you.

Second, this is just a guess, but I do know that both Harwell and Schorr continue to live with long-time spouses. Unlike Grandpa who lost Grandma years ago, these men still enjoy the comfort of a partner. Seems like a key ingredient to health and happiness in your advanced senior years is to age with a partner.

Third, and finally, stay engaged with the world around you. While some seniors retreat to a life of ease, Harwell and Schorr found jobs that they excelled at far beyond typical retirement ages. I don't believe they kept working for the money--it's for the love of their vocation. I suppose a key to happiness in your 90s is to find a job you love and KEEP ON DOING IT!

Just some thoughts. I'll share more when I get back from the funeral this weekend.

Peace out!

No comments:

Post a Comment