Sunday, June 6, 2010

Pleasures of Plain Vanilla

When I go to an ice cream shop, I'm struck by all the choices. Some of the flavors sound really interesting. Others sound kind of gross. But me, I pretty much order the same flavor every time. Maybe I'll mix it up with sprinkles, or if I'm really indulgent a waffle cone, but in the end I usually end up with one of my tried and true favorites. And, when I do switch things up and stray from my favorite flavor, invariably I say, "that was OK, but not as good as . . . ."

I should stick to my Baskin Robbins pattern in other areas of my life. After all, good doesn't stop being good simply because its familiar. Conversely, bad isn't a good choice simply because its different.

For most of us, thriving in life has meant striving to "be good." You know what I mean: honesty, hard work, and loyalty are necessary qualities for people who are successful in school, their careers and in their relationships. Further, those of us who are attached to religious faiths are mindful of whole lists of behaviors, attitudes and actions that bring us into a right relationship with our creator.

And those of us who have been "good" in our lives know that goodness brings real rewards and blessings. One cannot truly feel the pleasures of academic achievement, earn respect and admiration of business associates, and build solid, meaningful relationships without goodness. Further, while God graciously reaches out to us even if we've sunk to the lowest depths (yes, I've been there), how much healthier and satisfying are the times when we're open to the moving of God's Spirit within us on a daily basis, when we're not running and hiding from God (like Adam and Eve in the Garden) but actively seeking God's face (like Moses on Mt. Sinai).

Strange thing for me is that despite my experiences, every day I find myself in the ice cream store making choices. And, despite the fact that I already know what tastes good, I stand there and contemplate every offering. Sometimes I find the choice agonizing. I say to myself, "Maybe I should try Blueberry Cheesecake just this once? Maybe I'm missing something? Can I stand not knowing what that flavor tastes like?"

The Holy Scriptures tell us that the Tempter appears to humanity as an Angel of Light, who is very attractive to the eyes. Further, people of faith know that the Tempter works hard to confuse the righteous. The Tempter tells us to eat the forbidden fruit because doing so will make us wise. The Tempter tells us there are short cuts to fame and fortune. The Tempter tells us no one will ever know . . . . And the words of the Tempter can stick in our brains urging us to take the broad, easy path in life.

However, Jesus said that broad is the way and easy is the path that leads to destruction, and many are those who travel it. But narrow is the way and difficult is the path that leads to life and few are those who find it.

It's ironic how deceiving appearances can be. While being good appears to be the conventional choice, and being rebellious seems brave and courageous, as far as personal morality is concerned, the opposite is true. Resisting temptation is far more difficult than giving in. Being lazy takes much less effort than hard work. And why tell the truth (if it gets you in trouble) when lying is soooo easy.

My fascination with sin, fueled by a steady diet of television crime dramas and questionable "research" on the internet continues to surprise me. One would think that after years of seeing that the pleasures of sin are shortlived and ultimately leave a very bitter taste in your mouth, I would easily choose goodness. But yet, there I am, every day, looking at all those flavors and wondering, "Maybe I'm missing something. Maybe just this once . . . ."

God help us all. Goodness and righteousness may seem dull, conventional and boring, yet without them we cannot find peace, happiness and fulfillment.

Choose your flavors wisely.

No comments:

Post a Comment