Sunday, June 20, 2010

A Father's Pride


I have great kids.

And this is not the wine talking, really. OK, maybe I have enjoyed a couple of cold glasses of Chardonnay, and it's been a spectacularly beautiful summer's day in Michigan. But even with those mood elevating conditions, I still have to say, my kids are phenomenal.

I look at them and I'm amazed. How did an ordinary, kind of dorky guy like me contribute such extraordinary individuals to the human race? And what's even more amazing is that, so far, we're batting 1,000 with this brood. They are handsome, smart, loving and kind--all of them! They have risen above their father in so many ways and continue to grow. God bless them.

Today is Father's Day and I'm deeply in love with my four children. It's not just that they've shown me special Father's Day kindness--though the gifts were nice, the hand written cards charming, and the meals they prepared delicious and designed to please me--it's just that I can't stop looking at them and feeling overwhelming joy and pride.

I want to introduce you to them.

Our oldest son is Angel. Many have said few men have been more appropriately named than him. He's truly angelic in nature. Still, for me, his finest quality is his compassion that seems to know no bounds. He will give you the shirt off his back, the last dollar in his wallet, and his last ounce of energy if that's what you need. And, unlike most, Angel never feels jealousy over the accomplishments of others. If you're enjoying success at anything, Angel will sincerely share your joy. Similarly, if you're feeling despair, Angel will go to that dark place with you and be your only friend, if that's what you need. I've never known anyone with Angel's capacity for empathy--it's a trait his friends and family sometime don't fully appreciate, but yet delight in benefitting from.

Next comes Lonelli. Yes she's the one featured in the photo at top. This picture was snapped today after she completed her first ever triathalon. Understand that Lonelli has suffered some serious injuries in her day and feels constant pain--yet she has doggedly soldiered through the pain to reach her fitness goals. I've never met a more determined person than Lonelli. When she embraces a goal, she pursues that goal with unwaivering determination until she achieves it. She does it over and over, like her campaign to gain admission to the U.S. Naval Academy, to earning a full-ride scholarship to the Darden School of Business at the University of Virginia, to snagging a much-sought-after marketing position in Detroit in the midst of one of the most severe economic downturns this country has ever seen. And while pursuing these goals, Lonelli actively enlists the support of friends and family, because she knows their support is crucial to her on-going success. Lonelli knows what she wants and can formulate solid plans to reach her destination. I wish I had her drive.

As if the accomplishments of the older two are not impressive enough, what can I say about 18-year-old Amelia? Her most recent achievements prove that hard work and consistent efforts bear amazing fruit. How else can you explain her impressive first-year college GPA (3.73) and earning an "A" in her recent South Africa travel seminar, when fellow classmates, who included upperclassmen and law students, struggled to pass the class. How else can you explain why Amelia was recognized by her Drake professors this year as one of the school's top ten freshman (out of a class of 800+ students) despite a demanding academic schedule, a full load of extracurricular activities and leadership positions and holding down a part-time job? She even found time to have a boyfriend! Few teenagers I know demonstrate her gutsy maturity.

And finally, our youngest Isaac--a child whose talents seem endless. Rarely have I seen a person who is so good at so many things--and he never seems to show off. Children and adults alike recognize his musical aptitude, his athletic prowess, and his academic accomplishments and agree that he deserves success. People root for him because he's charming not arrogant and is a friend to all. He oozes charisma and flashes wit at appropriate and sometimes inappropriate moments, but no one seems to mind when he goes over the top. As he grows into young adulthood, Isaac will face unique challenges and temptations, yet he's just so clearheaded and loveable, I expect he'll face those challenges with his typical flair.

Scripture urges parents to train up children in the way that they should go and promises that when they are old, they will not depart from it. I believe that my children have benefitted from my wisdom, my love, and my usually gentle guidance. However, as a far-from perfect parent, I have no right to take that much credit for their achievements. Their accomplishments belong to them. My wife, our families, nuturing teachers, church leaders and others all have helped mold my children and have encouraged them to push themselves beyond simply what is expected. As a result, my children still believe the world is full of mountains to climb and opportunities to experience.

I am full of love and pride for them today. For me, every day is Father's Day.

No comments:

Post a Comment