Monday, May 28, 2012

Word Vomit You Can Use

Cady Heron, Lindsey Lohan's character in "Mean Girls," had a habit of blurting out things, even though she knew nobody wanted to hear the words.  She called it "word vomit," which was her term for uncontrollable utterances.

I know about word vomit--because I sometimes say things that I swear I can't control.  For example, when I'm in the street and see two adults on bikes with a child, invariably the child is wearing a helmit, but the adults are riding without.  It drives me crazy.  What's the child supposed to do when his/her parent suffers a traumatic brain injury?  What kind of example is that parent setting?  I always say something--I can't help it.

Fortunately I live by my beliefs.

Yesterday I decided to enjoy the early summer weather with a bike ride along the lake.  The weather was beautiful--and I actually enjoyed being out . . . until I encountered a couple of slow moving bikers.  Not wanting pass them by moving out into traffic, I decided to move to the sidewalk and pass on the inside.  Not a very good plan, but seemed somehow safer to me.  Bad idea.

Making a hard right turn onto a slightly raised driveway proved disasterous.  My bike went down and I flew over the handle bars right onto . . . grass.  That was lucky.  I did hit my head, hard.  And I hit my shoulder (even harder).  Of course about 100 people saw my crash, and all but two of them spared me their direct sympathy.   I was too embarrassed at the moment to listen.

"Are you alright?" asked the two bikers I was trying to avoid in the first place?

"Yeah, I'm fine."  I smiled back.  Relieved, they rode on.

But I wasn't fine.  My head had just bounced off the ground, and my shoulder . . . God, I hope it wasn't broken.  That would suck big time.

I was near the end of my ride--and my bike was undamaged.  I carefully pedaled the rest of the way home without incident.  I had not suffered a concussion--my balance was normal.  No ears ringing.  No pain.  I did have an abrasion on my forehead from the helmet, but no blood.  That would have been ugly, especially since I was reading in church for Pentecost Sunday in an hour.

And, I was less and less worried about the shoulder, too.  I had full range of motion.  Pain, but no swelling.  Bruised, yes.  Battered, definitely.  Broken, no.

Church went fine.  My wife and I were readers who were part of the mult-language babble to illustrate the miracle of Pentecost Sunday.  I read German.  Clarisa read Spanish.  And I did it without drooling, suffering from a splitting headache, and with clear vision.

You see, I was wearing a properly fitted biking helmet earlier in the day.  And, even though I bumped my head hard from falling, my brain was uninjured.  Thank God!

Talk about a Pentecost miracle!

No comments:

Post a Comment