Thursday, April 12, 2012

Welcome to Juno Alaska!


Yes, I know how to spell. The capital of Alaska is J-U-N-E-A-U. Juno is a Roman goddess. "Juno" is also the title of a 2010 movie starring Michael Cera and Ellen Page. And, Juno is the name we gave to the pictured Siberian Husky who moved into our house three weeks ago.

Hard to tell if she knows her name is Juno. After ongoing training efforts, the puppy understands "sit" (though she doesn't always sit when commanded). She understands "come" (though she doesn't always come when called"). She seems to know her name if there's food involved. Maybe she's just not attached to the name Juno. Maybe she still remembers "Tina"--the name her original owners called her.

I'm not sure I'm all that attached to the name Juno either. First week home, I think I preferred "Ghost Dog" because of her haunting blue eyes. Half the time I call her "Carly," the name of our 10-year old Lab--who, by the way, dithers between fear, disdain and grudging acceptance of the baby interloper. Lately I've been spitting out "Devil Dog" as the exuberant pup jumps on cabinets, chews chair legs, and poops everwhere but in her designated pooping spot.

There's no denying this puppy packs charisma--with her fluffy fur, bandit's face, affectionate personality, not to mention THOSE EYES! But she's a ton of work, too.

None of us clearly remember whether training Carly was this hard. Now moving into her final years, Carly is a mellow beast whose behavior mostly pleases her owners. She never messes the house, she doesn't jump on visitors. Her life is regular and orderly. Was housebreaking difficult for us ten years ago? I don't remember.

What I do recognize is that Carly, a submissive litter runt, might soon get alpha femaled by her new canine housemate. This Juno is willful, confident, and eager to explore. Katey bar the door!

Seriously, I'm gonna bar the doors--or at least set up some toddler gates.

Fasten your seatbelts, it's gonna be a bumpy night!

You aren't kidding Margo Channing. Early this morning (I'm talking 5 a.m.), I heard Juno yelping in her crate. It had been several hours since she last had been out. I figured her baby bladder needed relieving, and I got up to take her outside. When I got downstairs, Juno was jumping excitedly, and I tried to settle her down. Then I noticed puppy feces strewn everywhere. I took her outside, where she urinated as expected. Brought her in and gave her breakfast in an enclosed area. Then I began the stinky cleanup.

What made this mess so distressing was the fact that it was her third crate pooping incident in the same day! Has she decided the crate is her "designated pooping spot?" I thought dogs didn't poop where they slept?

Clearly we're doing something wrong.

Our puppy training manual says you can let a dog roam free in the house once you've gone an entire two weeks without an accident. Right now I'd settle for twelve hours!

Despite our muttered threats to give the dog back, or send her to the Humane Society, we know Juno is here to stay. And, like her namesake Roman goddess, looks like she has plans to become queen of this castle.

We'll see about that.

No comments:

Post a Comment